Monday, March 16, 2009

'hey' buddies, indian style

Every other weekend, I've been going to Bhubaneswar, the capital of Orissa that's about a 7 hour train ride from Kolkata, to conduct some trainings for work.  So far I've been twice and have to go twice more.  On my way down there this weekend, I get on the train and find my seat, which is super confusing in 3AC now that they've added a 3rd bunk on the side, but maybe I'll do a separate post on that later.   A guy walks on whom I instantly recognize and start saying hello to... except I don't actually know him at all.  He happened to be on my train two weeks ago and we exchanged a few words about how confusing the new seating arrangements are.  This time, we both had that weird moment strangers have when you recognize each other, have the urge to acknowledge each other, realize that you don't actually know each other, and try to suppress your urge to acknowledge each other all in the same instant, resulting in a meek and awkward exchange of grunts slash nods slash sputtering coughs. 

So I now have an Indian train 'hey' buddy, which I think has been one of my goals in life without me really realizing it.  I wonder if I'll see him again the weekend after next.

No comments: