Thursday, March 26, 2009

current cockroach death count: 10

Today's cockroach killing was the most traumatic of any yet. While getting ready to go to work this morning, I nearly stepped, with my bare foot, on a dead cockroach laying on its back in the middle of our living room. So I get some toilet paper from the bathroom to pick up the damn thing and dispose of it. I go to pick up the roach, but as I make contact, the thing COMES ALIVE and scutters away a few inches, at which point I have a mini-freak out. Now, I don't freak out over things very easily, but when you're mentally prepared to pick up something that's dead and then it comes alive on you, it's disconcerting. Still gives me shivers to think about it.

Anyway, I get my bearings, find a sandal, and give it a solid whack (I've gotten pretty good at whacking roaches hard enough that they are stunned or killed, but not so hard that they splatter and ooze blood and guts), poke it with the sandal a few times to make sure it's REALLY dead this time, pick it up, and flush it.

Lessons learned:
  1. Cockroaches often play dead in order to try to induce freak-out heart attacks in humans.
  2. Alway give ALL cockroaches a good shoe-whack before proceeding to dispose of them.
  3. A cockroach's antenae are its freakiest physical feature.
  4. Cockroaches are the true incarnate of evil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ewwwww.

oh, that reminded me of my other china-roach story: fell asleep one afternoon while studying and eating popcorn. when i woke up, i reached up in my hair and felt what i thought was a stray popcorn kernel (sadly, finding food in my hair is not that uncommon for me). I was still sleepy and was absently playing with it when i realized it was a bit harder and denser than one would find popcorn.

yeah. i was playing with a dead cockroach that had found its way to my hair. i don't know what part of this story is the most disgusting.

keep up the fight! xx